BAY CARE, Alta.
— An Alberta man accused of theft of $7.5 million in health and social assistance payments has been ordered to remain away from his wife and two young children, his lawyer said Tuesday.
A judge in Calgary on Tuesday also ordered him to stay at least 500 metres away from the couple and their three children, as well as a neighbour who is suspected of having knowledge of the case.
The court was told the couple received $7 million from the province in 2011, but that money has not been repaid.
Court documents show the couple were given a lump sum of $6.4 million in the spring of 2012, but the couple did not know they had received it until a year later, when it was revealed the payments had been delayed.
A spokeswoman for the province said the money is owed to people who are deceased, who are disabled, are living with a mental illness, or who have received benefits from a federal program.
Court records show the family received $8.5-million in income assistance in 2012 and that the couple’s assets are valued at $6 million.
They also received $4.9 million in child care, a $4-million pension and $1.8 million in food and clothing.
A woman living in the home where the couple lived with their children also was ordered to appear in court for a court appearance on charges of theft, breach of trust and breach of probation.
The case has sparked outrage among the community.
“We have to keep fighting for those who are left behind,” said John Tait, executive director of the B.C. Families Against Child Abuse.
“I think this is a big one and I think it’s a big deal.”
A federal court has already heard that a man living in an Alberta community accused of allegedly stealing money from his parents is still living there.
The man was ordered deported from Canada after his arrest.